Everything you ever wanted to know about the traditional ballad, ‘Lucy Wan’ [Roud 234] can be found in the first episode of the second series of The Old Songs Post, featuring the English traditional ballad singer, Nick Hart. On this page you’ll find all the notes, links, track listings, etc, mentioned in the podcast itself. It can be heard by clicking the player below, or on the majority of podcast platforms.
Click to listen on: Apple | Spotify | Google | Mixcloud
The Old Songs Podcast is supported by the English Folk Dance and Song Society.
‘Lucy Wan’ podcast notes
Over the course of the hour, Nick Hart and Jon Wilks mention the following links:
- The English Folk Dance and Song Society
- Nick Hart’s work on the Cambridge folk songs at Cecil Sharp House
- The Helen Harness Flanders Collection at Middlebury College, Vemont
- Nick Hart’s gig at Cecil Sharp House on September 28th, 2022
- The Vaughan Williams Memorial Library at Cecil Sharp House
- Mary Humphrey’s article on Charlotte Dann and Ella Bull
- The Lucy Broadwood Collection
- Southern Harvest, Frank Purslow/ Steve Gardham
- Tim Chipping’s article on Kate Bush and traditional music from fRoots magazine
- ‘Lucy Wan’, performed by Frankie Archer
- ‘Fair Lucy’, performed by Elmer George
- ‘Lucy Wan’, performed by Nick Hart
- ‘Lucy Wan’, performed by Spiers & Boden
- ‘Lucy Wan’, performed by Martin Carthy
- ‘Sheath and Knife’, performed by Ewan MacColl
- ‘Lucy Wan’, performed by Jim Moray ft. Bubbz
- ‘Lucy Wan’, performed exclusively for the Old Songs Podcast by Nick Hart
For more info on Nick Hart, head to nickhartmusic.com.